A recent study found that 99% of people would choose to work remotely for the rest of their life, even if it was just part-time. So, if you’re noodling over some Work From Home options, here are a few tips:
First, fire up Google.
Google: “Remote” + [JOB TITLE] + “Jobs”
Click the big blue bar that says “Jobs: Work from home” for hundreds of Work From Home jobs.
Don’t use job sites like Indeed, Glassdoor, or LinkedIn to look for Work From Home jobs. They’re great for different reasons. (Legitimate listings, salary data, networking.) But they’re not the best sites to find Work From Home jobs.
Use Google because they have the best programmers and the best AI. They harvest listings from all over the web and even pull jobs from company websites.
Other Helpful Sites:
FlexJobs.com is a website that helps people find flexible and remote jobs, ranging from freelance work, work-from-home jobs or part-time online jobs. FlexJobs researches qualifying jobs and screens them to make sure they are good quality jobs and not a scam. Sadly, many work from home job listings are sketchy or even scams (like Multi-Level Marketing) and just end up sending you spam or asking you to buy other stuff.
Another big plus for FlexJobs is they offer a much more advanced search feature than other job boards: you can filter by keywords, career level, schedule and a lot more. This saves hours scrolling through websites.
Freelancer is a great if you want to try taking on individual gigs as a free agent. It’s a huge platform with millions of jobs posted from all industries.
Upwork is another gig platform that publishes thousands of freelance jobs every day.
Freelance gigs are usually low cost though so you may not find clients willing to pay much — you’ll have to do some research and experimenting to find good quality clients.
A Bunch of Work from Home Job Ideas
(salary info from Glassdoor)
If you can type, you can probably do many other things too. But, typing jobs are easy if you’ve got the skills.
- Typist. You’ll need at least 40 WPM for these jobs. Test your speed free at KeyHero.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $27,430
- Data Entry. These stay-at-home-mom jobs need good 10-Key and Qwerty skills—Training: Minimal. Pay: $31,153
- Legal Transcriptionist. Type dispositions and legal terms for these WFM jobs.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $28,570
- Law Enforcement Transcriptionist. Learn police codes and terms on the fly forthese legit work-from-home jobs.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $28,570
- Medical Transcriptionist. You can find good jobs typing doctorspeak if you can learn the terms.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $28,570
- Phone Survey Conductor. Call people at home and ask questions.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $27,099
- Telemarketer. You’ll need a phone and grit. —Training: Minimal. Pay: $25,969
- Call Center Representative. You know those radio ads with the 800-numbers?—Training: Minimal. Pay: $32,214
- Customer Service. More fun than call-center work. Requires product knowledge—Training: Minimal. Pay: $34,780
- Dispatcher. Taxis, trucks, and cop cars need to know where to go.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $37,112
If you’re a good teacher, you can find well-paying teaching and tutoring jobs online. These make some of the best WFH jobs because you can fit them to your schedule.
- Online Tutor. If you’re good at any subject, these make solid home jobs. If you’re good you’ll make more than the median.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $25,500
- Test Scorer. You won’t find these flexible jobs in search sites. Contact schools and teachers directly instead.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $24,380
- ESL Teacher. There are lots of good online stay-at-home jobs teaching English.—Training: Bachelor’s Degree, Teaching Certificate. Pay: $54,337
Do you have grammar and writing skills? These writer/editor/blogger stay-at-home jobs might be your next chapter.
- Proofreader. Checking spelling and grammar. Plus, you’ll make your kids spelling bee champs.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $36,290
- Copy Editor. Check grammar, spelling, facts, and research with these online jobs.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $45,506
- Content Creator. Jobs for those who can blog and write.—Training: On-the-job. Pay: $54,455
- Editor. Google’s got tons of remote jobs for those who can manage writers.—Training: On-the-job, can take years. Pay: $61,655
- Journalist. This one takes a long time to develop and you won’t find it in the job sites. Join a pro association like the ASJA.—Training: On-the-job, can take years. Pay: $45,925
Computer Science Jobs
If you’ve got a knack for coding, these are the best paid jobs WFH jobs around.
- Help Desk Worker/Desktop Support. Help non-techies jump through hoops.—Training: Certificate, 1 Month. Pay: $43,835
- Computer Scientist. As a CS, you can do any of the jobs below.—Training: Bachelor’s Degree. Pay: $109,075
- Computer Programmer. Can you write code, or learn to? These are great stay-athome jobs online.—Training: 6 months to 2 years online training. Pay: $64,719
- Software Engineer. Also “software developer”. This is more than programming because you design the apps.—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $104,463
- Web Developer. Jobs to build website back-ends pay massive money.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $88,488
- Web Designer. Create the shape of sites and apps for these work-at-home jobs.—Training: Train online (shortest route about 3 months) or Bachelor’s Degree. Pay: $56,143
- UX Designer & UI Developer. Make websites play nice with users.—Training: Learn online. Shortest route about 3 months. Pay: $97,460
- SQL Developer. Write code to store and retrieve data for websites. —Training: Online, about 2 months. Pay: $81,714
- DevOps Engineer. —Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $138,378
Are you creative? Try these artsy stay-at-home jobs.
- Graphic Designer. If you’re good with graphics, you’ll find lots of work from home jobs here.—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $48,256
- Video Editor. Craft raw footage into gorgeous product with Adobe Premiere.— Training: On the job or a few weeks online. Pay: $46,274
- Musician. If you’ve got skills, you can find these jobs in Google.—Training: Must have skill. Pay: $40,000
- Computer Animator. Land these jobs through networking, not job search websites.—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $61,000
Search for legitimate Work From Home jobs in the marketing world on Google for Jobs (see above.) Many marketing teams rely on remote talent.
- Social Media Specialist/Manager. If you can handle Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook, you can work-at-home.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $54,500
- SEO Specialist. This is all about keywords and search intent. Training: Online, self-taught. Pay: $66,848
- Marketing Specialist. These at-home jobs turn heads to bring in bucks.—Training: On-the-job or college degree. Pay: $42,153
- Marketing Manager. If you can lead a marketing team, you can find hundreds of jobs online.—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $93,125
Research Online Jobs
Are you a first-rate internet detective who can pull it all together? These online jobs pay pretty well and don’t require tons of training.
- Researcher. Dig in, pull facts, and help your boss see the lay of the land.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $61,085
- Research Assistant. Just starting out? Try jobs helping the main researcher.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $30,647
- Have you got a CPA license or are you good with numbers?
- Accountant. These need a CPA license. If you don’t have one already, pass.—Training: Bachelor’s degree and a huge exam. Pay: $55,202
- Bookkeeper. No license. Keep track of the money. These work-at-home jobs are everywhere.—Training: On the job or online in four months. Pay: $34,677
If you’re really good with sifting data, these jobs may fit the bill.
- Business Analyst. For these jobs, speak truth to power with hard data skills.—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $70,170
- Data Analyst. Use big data tools like Hadoop or Cloudera to figure out what’s really going on in a world of figures.—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $65,470
- Financial Analyst. Requires a CFA certification.—Training: Bachelor’s degree and certification. Pay: $63,829
- Actuary for Insurance companies.—Training: Get certified by CAS or SOA. Pay: $107,598
- Biostatistician. Health care needs statisticians too. Lots of Work from Home jobs here. Training: Generally bachelor’s degree. Some do it with less. Pay: $92,426
If you’re not already an engineer, you won’t find many work-at-home jobs. Already got a degree? Try these:
- Assistant Engineer. Do you understand the way things work? You can get jobs with an associate’s degree.—Pay: $68,000
- Engineer. Search a specific engineer job + “remote” in Google to find tons of stay-at-home-jobs.—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $77,182
- Mechanical Engineer. Got your ME degree but want to work-at-home? Google “remote mechanical engineer jobs” and click the big blue bar.—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $73,016
- Civil Engineer. Yes, there are many remote CE positions—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $68,638
- Electrical Engineer. If you’ve got the EE training….—Training: Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $83,088
You need a license for these.
- Telework Nurse/Doctor. If you’re licensed, you can do these as work-at-home.—Training: Nursing or med school. Pay: $76,710–$300,000
- Massage Therapist. Welcome clients to your home and work your magic. Also try reiki practitioner and aromatherapist.—Training: State license. Pay: $45,408
- Mental Health Counselor. Online therapy’s popular.— Training: Varies by state from Certification to Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $45,449
- Addiction Counselor. Plenty of work-from-home jobs online in this field.—Training: Varies by state from Certification to Bachelor’s degree. Pay: $37,762
- Marriage Counselor. Rural couples love not driving and using online counseling services.—Training: Varies by state from Certification to Bachelor’s degree. Pay:$53,000
Other Assorted Work at Home Jobs
- Virtual Assistant. Basically an online secretary. Good unskilled stay-at-home jobs.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $22,000
- Recruiter—Training: Minimal to bachelor’s degree. Pay: $49,712
- Translator. If you’re fluent, Google, “remote translator jobs” to find lots of jobs.—Training: Minimal. Pay: $44,190
- Amazon Top Work From Home Jobs. Training: Variable. Pay: Variable
Don’t Forget Local Mom & Pop Businesses!
The best Work from Home jobs might not be online. Talk to your network. Chat with friends on social media. Talk to local business owners.
- Ask around. You never know who might need help.
Finally, need experience for these Work From Home jobs?
Learn the gist on YouTube, in blogs, and in Lynda and Udemy classes. (Your first month of Lynda is free.)